What is a Key Card System? What is a Key Fob System?
Today we are going to answer the question: What is a Key Card System? A Key Card System is a way to control who can enter a location. This can be a way to control who can enter certain areas, like employees, contractors, janitorial staff, and even visitors. Today we will look at what makes up a key card system and the benefits of using one.
At Loc-Doc Security, Our Mission is to help you protect your people and your property. We continue to share information like this to help you be informed so you can know the best solutions for the security of your property.
Most Key Card systems are made up of several components like a power supply, main panel, card reader, and electric strike. Generally, a user would produce a key card or key fob that is scanned at a reader near a door. This credential opens the door and gives access to the area. This is also good for knowing who has been in what locations and for how long.
A power supply does exactly what it says and supplies power to the main panel. The main panel is connected to a card reader and communicates with each other and the electric strike. When a card is presented to the card reader, the panel will communicate and check if the user has access to the door. If it does have access, the panel will send a signal to the electric strike to open the door. This all happens rapidly with the permissions set up and data transmitted in milliseconds.
All of these components are variable and able to be expanded depending on the size of the location. One of the main components that is not shown is a computer controlling the users and access parameters. These days, a physical computer is no longer necessary and 100% of these systems are cloud based. This is a huge benefit when managing multiple locations.
What Are The Benefits of Using a Key Card System?
- No Lost Keys – One of the benefits of using an access control system is the elimination of physical keys. Sometimes keys are lost and rekeying a building and distributing new keys can be costly. Having a key card system or access system can utilize key fobs, key cards, and even electronic credentials that work on your mobile phone or smart watch. If a key card or key fob is lost, you can easily disable it and assign a new credential without the expense of rekeying a whole office building.
- Having Audit Trails – Another benefit for an Access Control System is the data they track. Once a user is assigned a credential, you can see if and when someone entered an area and a specific time. Physical keys don’t leave an audit trail.
- Key Management – Depending on your role, you may need to enter many different buildings or rooms. This can be a hassle if you have to have a physical key for every door. With an Access system, it’s as easy as a few clicks to assign areas and buildings for different users.
- Increased Control – Using an Access Control System makes it easy to manage who can enter, which doors they can open, and specific times they can access the building.
Why Would You Want To Upgrade Your Existing Key Card System?
Some older existing systems were run on old windows computers housed at multiple locations. Having to travel to each location to make changes to who had access to the building was wasting a lot of time. With New technology, we can convert old access systems to a Cloud Based Management Software to easily make changes no matter where our customer is. No more traveling to different locations and working on old computers. This system can be accessed from your mobile phone, laptop, tablet, and even a desktop at home. Some of the benefits are:
- Using Cloud Based Technology Gives You Freedom: no driving to different locations, easily managed.
- You Can Manage One Location or One Hundred: have multiple properties? No problem!
- Manage from ANY Device: mobile phone, tablet, laptop, desktop – no complicated software, just an easy interface.
- Reduced Maintenance: with a Cloud Based System, you don’t have to mess with physical servers, software licenses or updates or patches.
- Secure Credentials: You can quickly issue or revoke in the system from anywhere in the world.
- Issue Digital Credentials: This is a credential shared to a smartphone and is great for people that forget their card and even vendors.